Friday, March 20, 2009

The Chick From The Knife Releases Album


Let’s be serious : Sweden is heaven on earth. I once asked a Swedish girl if it was true and she laughed at me. But I know, and we know, and she knows: Sweden IS heaven. They study for free in Upsala, they get rich in Stockholm and they make beautiful music in Gothenburg. Look at this list of artists or bands that come from there : Air France, The Embassy, The Honeydrips, Jens Lekman, The Knife, Love Is All, Sally Shapiro, Studio, The Tough Alliance. That’s quite empressing for a town named Gothenburg. Please check them out cause they're all excellent and their music seems to come directly from where they’re from : heaven...

... except The Knife. I don't know where their music comes from, but it's probably a really strange place. We all know them for their breakthrough single ‘Heartbeats’, but they also made two excellent albums: 'Deep Cuts' in 2003 and 'Silent Shout' in 2006, which are filled by excellent dark electro pop songs, like ‘Pass This On’ - don't start jerking off guys , it's a drag queen - ‘You Take My Breath Away’ and ‘Marble House’. When you listen to their music and see them with their bird masks, you imagine cold and weird descendants of Vikings, but they actually look like two very cool brother and sister. Sadly for us, they took a three year break in 2007, in order pursue their own solo projects: DJ Coolof for Olof and Fever Ray for Karin.

And here's the point of this post: Fever Ray released the physical version - it was available digitally since January - of her self-titled album yesterday. There are already two videos: one for the first single 'If I Had a Heart' and one for 'When I Grow Up'. The album is overall very dark and very ambient, but it's great from track 1 to track 10. I've uploaded for you the song that was playing all day on my iTunes and, as a bonus, a happy makeover of 'When I Grow Up' by fellow Gothenburger Dan Lissvik from Studio that you can listen to cheer up afterwards.

Mediafire: Fever Ray - Dry and Dusty (320 kbps) [removed after request]

Mediafire: Fever Ray - When I Grow Up (D. Lissvik remix) [192 kbps] [removed after request]

No comments: