Saturday, April 11, 2009

No Free Song Day


The first time I saw Milk, I was in New York and I had to pay 13$ US to get in the theatre. Yeah, I know, that’s a rip off. Anyway, I just watched it again yesterday and seriously, go see this movie if you haven’t seen it. Gus van Sant really did a great job controlling our emotions and Sean Penn made sure he looked like the gayest of all men. I checked to be sure and he’s totally straight. He’s even dated Madonna for a while and she dedicated True Blue to him. Anyway, good job guys : if I was gay, I’d be really proud to see that such a good movie had been made for me.

It’s funny you know, having written this, I realize that I was really trying to write in a way that wouldn't let anyone think that I could be gay. I guess, for me, being gay is still kinda taboo, and I emphasize on the kinda, cause when I'm trying to be conscious about it, I can see that I’m just being stupid. But we’ve grown up in a society where it’s so taboo: I guess it’s just a reflex that’s embedded really deep in ourselves. Movies being one of the best ways to modify attitudes in depth, Milk can be seen as a true achievement for the gay community and for the world in general. Next step for me: Brokeback Mountain.

I’m diverging, ain’t I? Don’t be scared, I haven’t decided to make this a gay movie blog yet. The main thing I wanted to tell you is that two of the best Canadian electro acts, Thunderheist and MSTRKRFT, are in town tonight. If you got money to spend, you could even catch a bit of each, cause Metropolis and Club Soda are really close to each other. If you don’t have money, which is probably the case, I would suggest Thunderheist cause it’s only 15$ and their last album is way better than MSTRKRFT’s last album. The real choice will go to your bank account I guess.

No comments: