Tuesday, March 31, 2009

PBJ Are Back and This Time, They're Not Whistling


Every time I hear 'Young Folks', my first thought is, 'That whistling really sounds like the flute riff in Kung Fu Fighting'. My second thought is, 'I want to marry that girl (Victoria Bergsman)'. My third though is, 'Gosh, I wish I had written that song'. Cause that song and the whole album are so good that I'm a bit surprised these guys come from Stockholm and not Gothenburg, the musical capital of Sweden.

Now, there's something I want to make clear: this band isn't a one-hit-wonder. I haven't heard their self-titled debut album or the instrumental ‘Seaside Rock’, but I've heard 'Falling Out' and it's also excellent. There's a song on it called 'It Beats Me Everytime' that takes a really big place in my musical subconscious and when you'll hear it, you'll know these guys really have talent.

That's why I was really exciting that Peter Bjorn and John released a new album today. Unfortunately, while Pitchfork was totally wrong yesterday, I have to agree with them this time: ‘Living Thing’ is not as good as it should be. They changed their style a lot and it seems that putting the focus on rhythm instead of melody doesn’t seem to fit them very well. At least, when you'll hear ‘Lay It Down’, which is one of my best new songs at the moment, you'll see that they totally put an X on the fact of being the cute whistlers from Sweden. We can only hope that 'Living Thing' is only a transitional album towards a better one in their new style.

No comments: